Preparing for your stay
A smooth start to rehabilitation
What you need to know
We want you and your family to feel comfortable and confident as you begin rehabilitation. Please review the following important information.
Your safety is important to us. We ask that all patients, family members and visitors help us maintain a safe and secure environment by following the guidelines posted throughout the hospital.
Please leave all valuables, jewelry, credit cards, checkbooks and large amounts of cash at home. If you need to have certain items with you, speak with your care team for more information.
Ochsner Rehabilitation Hospital is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Visiting hours. The support of family and friends is important to the rehabilitation process. Visiting hours are from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily. Reserved parking for patients and their families is available in the lot at the front of the hospital.
Please note: visitors are not allowed in treatment areas without an invitation to participate in a specific training or education session. We recommend scheduling visits later in the day, which allows patients to focus on their therapy. We respect the needs of all patients, which is why we limit the number of visitors to two at one time. Additionally, children must be accompanied by an adult.
As you prepare for your stay at Ochsner Rehabilitation Hospital, please be sure to bring*:
- Ribbed cotton socks (non-elastic tops)
- Sneakers or rubber-soled shoes with good support
- Washable, loose-fitting trousers or sweatpants (preferably not denim or corduroy)
- Long/short sleeve shirts or knit tops
- Sweater and/or sweatshirt/fleece
- Outdoor jacket or coat
- Laundry bag and extra hangers
- Toothbrush, toothpaste and denture care products
- Soap, shampoo, conditioner
- Comb, brush and hair products; hair dryer
- Shaving supplies
- Hearing aids
- Items to meet special needs
- Medical equipment issued by hospital
- Home medication list
- Other needed items
*Please ensure you bring enough clothes for at least one week.
Laundry. Please set up a laundry schedule with family members or friends to keep your clothing and personal items clean.
Personal equipment. If you have personal wheelchairs, walkers, canes, braces or other assistive devices, bring them with you upon admission. Please label items clearly with your name and indicate “Personal Property.”
Ochsner Rehabilitation Hospital is not responsible for the maintenance and/or upkeep of personal items, nor for any loss of or injury from personal equipment
Interpreter services. We offer interpreter services for patients with limited English proficiency or other communication difficulties. These services are offered free of charge.
Telephone service. Personal cell phones can be used in most areas of the hospital except the therapy gyms and treatment areas. We also provide telephones in each room. Family and friends outside the hospital may reach you by calling the dedicated phone number posted in your room. To place a call within the hospital, simply dial the four-digit extension or “0” for assistance. For local calls outside the hospital, dial “9” followed by the phone number.
Television. In-room, basic area cable service is provided free of charge. Televisions are also located in lounge areas for your enjoyment.
Wi-Fi. Free Wi-Fi service is available using our guest wireless network “OHNGuest.”
Personal devices. Cell phones, laptops or personal music/video players are permitted in your room or appropriate public areas. They are not permitted in therapy gyms or other treatment areas. In addition, you may use hairdryers, electric shavers, etc. for your personal needs. These items must be inspected and tagged by our maintenance staff. Please see a member of your care team for more information. Ochsner Rehabilitation Hospital is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Mail. Mail is delivered daily, except Sunday and federal holidays. Outgoing mail can be dropped at the nurses' station or main reception desk. You also may give outgoing mail to a member of the patient care staff. Letters arriving after discharge will be forwarded to the home address on file.
Smoking. The use of tobacco products is not permitted anywhere on hospital property, including parking lots, patio areas, sidewalks, walkways and other outdoor spaces. Smoking is also not permitted in any vehicle while on our property. Similarly, no candles or devices with open flames are permitted inside the building.
Alcohol and drugs. The possession or use of alcohol or illegal drugs is not permitted under any circumstances and will subject the patient to discharge. Medical testing is mandatory in cases of suspected substance abuse. If an individual would like counseling for drug or alcohol dependency, please reach out to a member of the care team.
Our valued relationships with patients and their families are based on mutual respect, trust and understanding. These relationships are the foundation of a successful rehabilitation experience. To help optimize your recovery and make your stay at Ochsner Rehabilitation Hospital as rewarding as possible, we ask that you abide by the following guidelines:
- Please provide staff with all relevant information necessary to develop and implement your plan of care and ensure coordination of insurance and medical benefits.
- Ask questions about your care plan. An informed patient is the cornerstone of a safe and effective rehabilitation environment.
- Depending on your insurance coverage, you may be responsible for a portion of your bill for services provided. You are obligated to fulfill your financial commitments.
- Please assist us in maintaining a safe and quiet healing environment. Be respectful of other patients, staff, hospital policies and property.
- All patients are expected to be active participants in the rehabilitation process, and follow the agreed-upon treatment plan and clinical instructions. Skills learned in therapy sessions, particularly those related to activities of daily living, should be applied and practiced in the nursing unit and dining/leisure areas as recommended by your treatment team. Each patient accepts the consequences of his/her informed participation in the agreed upon plan.
- Observe posted visiting hours and visitor rules. Note that family members and/or caregivers will be provided with specific information if training or education sessions are scheduled.
- Please understand that it might become necessary to transfer you to another room or floor during your stay. We appreciate your cooperation and apologize for any inconvenience.
- Discharge is scheduled for 10 a.m. If, for any reason, you are unable to leave at this time, your belongings will be held in a secure area so that we may prepare your room for another patient.
- Discharge is scheduled during the morning hours. If, for any reason, you may need to leave later in the day, your belongings will be held in a secure area so that we may prepare your room for another patient.